Housing Accommodations

To qualify for on-campus housing accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair Housing Act, the student must have a disability which is defined as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities and the student must provide documentation from a qualified practitioner sufficient to demonstrate that a on-campus housing accommodation is necessary to alleviate the symptoms of the disability.

If you have a disability that requires an on-campus housing accommodation(s), we require you to follow the four-step process below.

1. Complete the On-Campus Housing Accommodation Request form. Part One of this form must be completed by the student.
2. You will need to submit documentation from a qualified practitioner to verify your disability and recommend reasonable accommodations. Part Two of this form must be completed by a qualified practitioner.
3. Submit your fully completed form, including Part One and Two, to the Disability Resource Office. You can mail, fax or email these forms to:

Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
Center for Student Success and Engagement/Disability Resources
375 Church St.
North Adams, MA 01247
Fax: 413-662-5444

4. Attend a meeting with a Disability Resource staff member to discuss appropriate and necessary accommodations.

Students are required to request on-campus housing accommodations each academic year.

Deadlines to submit on-campus housing accommodation requests:

Returning students:     

April 1 for fall semester
December 1 for spring semester

New students:  July 1 for fall semester
December 1 for spring semester
Summer students: May 1 for all summer programs and conferences

Applications after these deadlines will be accepted and considered, however, MCLA cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet late requests for on-campus housing accommodations, including any needs that develop during the semester. Requests can take up to 30 days to be reviewed and to make a final determination. Students will be notified in writing of the College’s decision.

If you are requesting an Assistance Animal (also known as an Emotional Support Animal) as your accommodation, please note that all Assistance Animals must be approved in advance of being allowed into any College residence area. If a student’s accommodation for an Assistance Animal is approved by the Disability Resource Office, the student is required to meet with the Director of Residential Programs & Services to review the Assistance Animal guidelines and complete the Assistance Animal agreement prior to the animal taking up residence.