Tree in front of Murdock Hall

Veteran's Information


Information for MCLA Students who are United States Armed Forces Veterans, Active Duty, Selected Reserve, National Guard, or their Dependents


Students are encouraged to identify their veteran status upon their initial enrollment with the Registrar's Office, Eldridge Hall Quad Level. Students can also contact the Registrar's Office by phone at (413) 662-5216, or by email.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Tuition Benefits

Cost of Attendance 

The Registrar's Office certifies eligibility for tuition benefits with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.  Students should contact the Registrar's Office to apply. Benefits can come from one of the following sources:

In compliance with the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, qualifying veterans and dependents will be charged tuition and fees at the rate for in-state students.

The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (codified at 38 U.S.C. 3679) has been amended by Section 1005 of Public Law 116-315, the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D., Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020, which modifies 38 U.S.C. 3679(c).

The amendment requires that for all courses, semesters, or terms beginning after August 1, 2021, public institutions of higher education must charge qualifying veterans, dependents and eligible individuals tuition and fees at the rate for in-state residents.

In compliance with 38 U.S.C. 3679(c), as amended, the following individuals will be charged the in-state resident rate:

• A veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G Bill), of 38 U.S.C. who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

• Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

• Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same institution. The person must be using educational benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 of 38 U.S.C.

• Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the state in which the institution is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

In compliance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, MCLA does not penalize veterans and dependents using Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 benefits when the VA is late making payments by preventing these students from enrolling, charging additional late fees, requiring alternative sources of funding, or denying access to school resources. Qualifying students should submit their Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of Benefits before the first day of classes.

College credit for Military Training Programs

 In compliance with the Valor Act of 2012, the Registrar’s Office evaluates potential college credit for military training programs, college courses taken while on active duty, and various examination programs.  MCLA awards college transfer credit based on the recommendations provided by the American Council on Education, DANTES, and our own Experiential Credit Program.  Students are encouraged to contact the Registrar's Office for more information.

Flag flying in the fallVeterans Student Services

The Office of Student Affairs serves as a resource for student veterans and their families by coordinating campus-based and community assistance.  Students and their families are encouraged to contact Luke Morrill in the Office of Student Affairs for assistance by phone at (413) 662-5103, or by e-mail.  The Office located on the 3rd floor in the Campus Center, room 307, is open to assist with any of your academic, personal, social, career, or other college success concerns.


The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) at MCLA is a centralized resource hub, easily accessible and widely available to all veterans and their families. We strive to meet the needs of veterans so they may successfully transition to academic life. The VRC is located in Bowman Hall room 109.

Information for Students called up to Active Duty

Students called to active duty while enrolled at MCLA should submit their original military orders to the Registrar's Office, Eldridge Hall, Quad Level.  Contact the office at 413-662-5216 or  The office will facilitate the student's departure from campus and help determine which College policies regarding withdrawal, leave of absence, refunds, and grading should be applied.  She will contact the following departments on behalf of the student called up for active duty:

  • The student's academic advisor and current faculty for the semester will be notified. Depending upon the time of withdrawal, it will be determined whether the student will receive grades of "W", or "I".  Students will have a deadline of 6 weeks into the semester to which they return to complete work in any course for which a grade of "I" is assigned.
  • The Registrar's Office will report the student's status to the Department of Veterans Affairs, process withdrawals, and/or Leave of Absence, as needed.
  • The Office of Financial Aid will resolve any issues pertaining to the student's aid package for the semester.
  • The Bursar's Office will process any applicable refunds for tuition, residence hall, or dining services.
  • Residential Programs and Services will process the student's departure from the residence halls and terminate food service, if applicable.

These procedures ensure that students called to active duty should be held harmless academically and financially.  The College will seek to respond in such a way that minimizes the stress and difficulty for students making the transition to military service.

Web Resources for Student Veterans

Massachusetts Department of Higher Education

Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance

Massachusetts Army National Guard Education Services

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs